Basic Freediving Safety Program – HILO (WAITING LIST)
We have reached full capacity, please email us to join the waiting list at email@example.com
Team of instructors: Justin Lee @bigisleboy24, Mike Jutt @misfit1214, Chris Funada @moistmaninis, Niki Stepanek @nikistepanek and Heidi Hoover @merlifehawaii.
Event is confirmed for March 12-13 at the start of spring break!
Open to 12-years-old to 25-years-old spearfishermen and freedivers. Priority will be given to students who are already spearfishing.
This is a five hour program teaching you how to:
- Ensure you and your diving buddy come home alive
- Freedive and spearfish following important safety protocals
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of a freediving related low oxygen events
- How to handle freediver blackout
- How to minimize the chance of freediver blackout
- Be a Safe! buddy for your friends and family members
We will split the practical training into two sessions. Group 1 will complete their practical training on Saturday afternoon and Group 2 will complete their practical training on Sunday morning. Students from out of town (those who do not live in Hilo town) will be given priority to complete the course on Saturday afternoon. If you live in Hilo, then you will complete the practical training on Sunday.
Day 1 – 9am-11:30am Classroom; 12:30pm – 2:30pm Practical Training Group 1
Day 2 – 10:30am-1:00pm Practical Training Group 2
- 2.5 hrs classroom
- 2 hrs confined water
What to bring:
- Mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, weight belt, pen and paper (we can provide anything you don’t have, just let us know!) All items are needed for attendance.
Minimum age to attend:
- 12-years-old or older (12-17 year olds require student and both parents/legal guardians to complete the Liability Release and Medical Release)
- Classroom – 234 Waianuenue Avenue, Hilo
- Practical Training – TBC, it will be one of the local bays or pools
- Upon completion students will receive a certificate of completion with the option of taking a short knowledge test for the FII Basic Freediving Safety certification.
- Due to limited positions, all participants must register.
Covid-19 Program Precautions:
- Group size is limited to County covid restrictions
- Programs are adapted to ensure social distancing and safety are a priority.
- All students must complete a Covid-19 questionnaire before attending.
- We encourage family members and buddy teams (pairs) to register together to limit exposure during the practical training.
- Students will be asked to wear masks when not in the water and sanitize their hands as needed.