Basic Freediving Safety Program – Makaha, Oahu
Team: Daniel Koval, Dylan Currier, Kristin Kuba, Tyler Roberts, Niki Stepanek
Date: Saturday, October 22, 2022
Open to 12-years-old and older
This day program teaches you how to:
- Ensure you and your diving buddy come home alive
- Freedive/spearfish following standardized safety protocals
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of a freediving related hypoxic event
- Effectively manage a freediving related hypoxic event
- Minimize the chance of freediver blackout or LMC (loss of motor control)
- Be a Safe! buddy for your friends and family members
Skill entry requirement: Must be comfortable using snorkeling/ freediving equipment and have proficient swimming abilities.
8:45am – Student Intake
9:00am – 12pm – Classroom Instruction
12:00pm – 1:00pm – Break
1:00pm – 4pm – Practical Safety Training and Final Course Overview
What to bring:
- Mask, fins, snorkel, full length wetsuit, weight belt, pen and paper (we can provide anything you don’t have, just let us know!) All items are mandatory for attendance.
Minimum age to attend:
- 12-years-old or older (12-17 year olds require both parents/guardians to complete the Liability Release and Medical Release)
- Classroom TBC
- Practical Session will be hosted at Pōkaʻī Bay
- Upon completion students will receive a certificate of completion with the option of taking a short knowledge test for the FII Basic Freediving Safety certification.
- Due to limited positions, all participants must pre-register. You will be sent another link to finalize your registration.