Basic Freediving Safety Program – Hilo town, Big Island
Event is confirmed for March 25, 2023. It is a one day program proven to save lives while spearfishing and freediving.
Open to 12-years-old to 25-years-old spearfishermen and freedivers.
This freediving safety program will teach you how to:
- Ensure you and your diving buddy come home alive
- Freedive and spearfish following important safety protocals
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of a freediving related low oxygen events
- How to handle freediver blackout
- How to minimize the chance of freediver blackout
- Be a Safe! buddy for your friends and family members
Day 1 – Meet 8:45am at Honpa Hongwanji conference room. 9am-12:00pm Classroom; 1:00pm – 4:00pm Practical Training at Kawamoto Swim Stadium (must be out by 4pm)
- 2.5 hrs classroom Hilo
- 3 hrs confined water
What to bring:
- Mask, fins, snorkel, 3mm full wetsuit, weight belt, pen and paper (we can provide anything you don’t have, just let us know!) All items are needed for attendance.
Minimum age to attend:
- 12-years-old or older (12-17 year olds require both student and one parent/legal guardian to complete the Liability Release and Medical Release)
- Classroom – Honpa Hongwanji Hilo Betsuin
- Practical Training – Kawamoto Swim Stadium
- Upon completion students will receive a certificate of completion with the option of taking a short knowledge test for the FII Basic Freediving Safety certification.
- Due to limited positions, all participants must register.