Basic Freediving Safety Program – Waimea, Big Island
Instructors: Justin Lee, Dylan Currier, Sandy Hammel. Event organizer: Niki Stepanek – 954-330-3560 (text or call)
Event is confirmed for May 28th, 2022. It is a one day program proven to save lives while spearfishing and freediving.
Open to 12-years-old to 25-years-old spearfishermen and freedivers. We need to work with students who are already spearfishing.
This freediving safety program will teach you how to:
- Ensure you and your diving buddy come home alive
- Freedive and spearfish following important safety protocals
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of a freediving related low oxygen events
- How to handle freediver blackout
- How to minimize the chance of freediver blackout
- Be a Safe! buddy for your friends and family members
Day 1 – 9am-12:00pm Classroom; 1:00pm – 3:30pm Practical Training
- 2.5 hrs classroom Waimea township
- 3 hrs confined water at Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy
What to bring:
- Mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, weight belt, pen and paper (we can provide anything you don’t have, just let us know!) All items are needed for attendance.
Minimum age to attend:
- 12-years-old or older (12-17 year olds require both student and one parent/legal guardian to complete the Liability Release and Medical Release)
- Classroom – Waimea township
- Practical Training -Hawaii Preparatory Academy
- Upon completion students will receive a certificate of completion with the option of taking a short knowledge test for the FII Basic Freediving Safety certification.
- Due to limited positions, all participants must register.